UAV’s (unmanned aerial vehicles)/UAS’s (unmanned aerial systems), or ‘drones’ as they are commonly known, are essential to the core services RMC Surveys & Inspections Ltd provide to both residential and commercial clients.
We hold both PfCO (Permission for Commercial Operations) and OSC (Operating Safety Case) permissions from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), and operate to strict privacy guidelines and procedures. Every aerial operation we undertake is fully compliant with the Air Navigation Order and is logged in every detail by our fully automated data management systems. These flight logs kept for 36 months and are available, along with our full Operations Manual, to the CAA and any UK police force to inspect at any time.
We are ICO registered (ZA541120) and fully complaint with all UK data protection and GDPR laws.
We fully understand and appreciate that members of the public may have concerns over drone use privacy, given that we are operating exceptionally advanced aerial camera systems. To that end, we set out the following guidelines which apply to every single aerial operation we undertake.
We promise to:
• Let people know before we start recording: We will always inform nearby persons of our intended operation.
• Only capture images when essential to the operation: We will only ever record images and/or video which apply to the operation we are undertaking, i.e. we will not record or capture images and/or video during a drone’s flightpath to or from the operation area.
• Be highly visible: Our aerial teams will always wear high visibility banded clothing, and operate in clear and open spaces.
• Consider our surroundings: Our CAA qualified pilots will only overfly persons, vehicles, vessels and structures which are not part of our immediate operation where absolutely necessary.
• Plan our flights: Each aerial mission we undertake is planned either in advance, or on-site and in accordance with our dynamic risk assessment, and in both cases our pilots will be completely aware of the flight routes they will be taking to achieve the operation successfully. At all times, our aircraft will remain in visual line of sight (VLOS) of our pilot and/or our Aerial Operations Assistant(s), who are in radio contact with the pilot at all times.
• Think before we share: Occasionally and only when authorised by our client(s), we may share images obtained during our operations on our social media channels. Clients will always be asked in advance if they are happy for images to be shared.
• Keep images we obtain safe: Images are saved to an SD Card which is downloaded to our internal storage systems within 12 hours of them being taken. Our internal storage devices are not connected to the internet and not accessible from outside of RMC operational premises.
During operations, our teams will always focus on the drone and its surroundings, as the UK airspace can often very suddenly change – for example, we may be operating in a controlled environment and an emergency services aircraft (NPAS, HEMS, etc) enter the airspace, meaning we have to take immediate action for all parties to remain safe.
If you have any concerns regarding our operations, have received a letter from us stating that we have recently been operating in your area, or have seen our teams and drones operating near you or your property, and would like to speak to us about something, please send us a message via our contact form or email firstname.lastname@example.org – we will respond to all queries within 72 hours of receipt.